When you log in to wordpress, there should be a gray bar at the top that has your username. If you click your username, you’ll be taken into a screen that has all sorts of helpful links on the left hand side. Here you can create posts and edit existing ones. The editor that you reach from this menu seems better than another editor I’ve seen pop up, so use this one.
A few helpful features:
- “Upload/Insert” allows you to post pdfs, pictures, powerpoints, you name it. You can upload documents you’ve already written, such as software documentation for example.
- In the “Publish” box on the right hand side of the editor, you can set the visibility of a post to private. Once the blog goes public, this will be important.
- Please set “Categories” for your posts which will help organization later on. You can add a new category, or use existing ones. There are also “Tags” for more specific content organization, but we haven’t really decided how to use one versus the other yet.
- The following page talks about posting source code on WordPress.
- If you have changed a page (like I did with this one) and want to move it up to the top of the blog, just change its publishing date to today’s date!
- Tags allow us to be more easily found through WordPress. Try to add them if you can!
As usual please feel free to add more WordPress tips to this post as we go along!